Turning Autocompletion OFF in Gnumeric

Is there any way to REALLY turn the autocompletion off in Gnumeric?
In the Gnumeric preferences, under Tools, the autocomplete check box is
unchecked.

Nevertheless, when I type something in a cell, it autocompletes. Of course it
never does this in the way I need it, so I would really like to have it utterly,
absolutely and totally OFF, but there is apparently no way...

I am using Gnumeric 1.10.1 which comes from the repositories of ubuntu lucid
Thank you