Re: fft question

Le dimanche 03 octobre 2010 à 21:22 +0200, Leonard Mada a écrit :
A last idea:

in order to visualize the spectrum of a "complex" Fourier transform
(unlike FFT), you need to calculate the module of the result, which
implies squaring the result.
[Caution: I think it is called "module" in English.]

Actually, it needs phasing. But this is another story.

Maybe this is the reason for getting only half the image - maybe
"complex data" implies the generic Discrete Fourier Transform (DFT),
and the result is a spectrum containing complex numbers, which needs
a further transformation in order to be displayed - the modulus
being displayed instead of the actual DFT.

In the low part of the spectrum I get the correct data, but they are
mirrored, also the first value seems invalid. The high part is also
mirrored. After putting the data in order accordingly to that, I get
something correct. I'm just wondering if this is the expected result.

All series have 8192 points, both the original data and the transformed
data, from the real or complex input. Seems the mirroring does not occur
when complex data are provided. This is anticipated since exp(ix) and
exp(-ix) are not the same, while cos(x) and cos(-x) can't be
distinguished.

Best regards,
Jean

Sincerely,