Re: Multiple 2-variable regressions

On Sat, 2010-08-14 at 19:51 -0400, Thomas La Bone wrote:
I am using Gnumeric 1.10.8 on Windows XP SP3 (which is working quite
well by the way). When I go to do a linear regression from the menu:

Statistics -> Dependent Observations -> Regression

I get an interesting window that offers "Multiple 2-variable
regressions" with an option for "Multiple dependent (y) variables".
These options are not described in the help menu. Can someone refer me
to documentation that explains what these options do? Thanks.

Hi Thomas,

these are relatively new options that haven't made it into the manual
yet.

Typically for linear regression you have independent x varaibles
x_1,x_2,x_3,...,x_n and a single dependent varaible y.

The default "multiple linear regression" considers a single linear model
for all n+1 varibales (with the single y dependent, r response,
varaible.)

If you choose "multiple 2 variable regressions" considers n separate
linear models, each for two variables, an independent x_i and dependent
y.

If you choose "multiple 2 variable regressions with multiple dependent
variables", you need to specify a single independent variable x and
multiple dependent variables y_1 to y_n, and separate linear models are
considered, each for two variables, an independent x and dependent y_i.

I hope this explains it.

Andreas