Re: postgreSQL

Martyn Shiner wrote:

I'd like to be able to read and write data in a table stored in a
postgreSQL database. I've downloaded the gnome-db libraries and the
gnumeric-plugins-extra pacakages but can't quite work out what to do next.

I'd be grateful for some help.

Since no one has responded, I will describe my experience with a similar problem.  However, note these caveats: I used Excel data* and the database was various versions of Sybase (11.x and 12.5.x).

The data I used were comment delimited extracts taken from the spreadsheets.  The syntax, as I remember it was along the lines of:

    INSERT [cdd**] INTO [tablename]

where I assume PostgreSQL would have similar operational syntax.  To work properly the ordering to the delimited data would have to correspond exactly the target table structure (i.e. the column ordering).  From my memory  data type attached to the column determined the stored value.  Thus, a gross mismatch of datatypes, e.g. a text string of non-numeric characters would corrupt your data when a float was expected.

Let me note too that datasets from Excel could use other characters to delimit data cells, e.g. space, quotes, etc.

I hope that helps a bit.

* Gnumeric seems to be quite similar in features and operation to Excel, hence, this should not be an issue.

** comment delimited data (or other character delimiter)