Re: How to get missing grid lines back?

Le mercredi 18 novembre 2009 à 06:26 -0600, Larry Alkoff a écrit :
John Machin wrote:
On 18/11/2009 1:51 PM, Larry Alkoff wrote:
I have a spreadsheet started by a clever fellow that likes to "pretty
print" who has left the company.

There are large sections of the spreadsheet with no grid lines.
The cells exist because I can click on where a box should be and it is
outlined.

The cells exist unconditionally.

Sometimes the vertical lines are missing, sometimes the horizontal
lines, sometimes both.  It's very disconcerting.

Another thing is some of the grid lines that exist are bold, some are
not.  How did he do that?

Sounds like he has been playing with cell borders ("bold" == thick)
and/or cell background colours using Format / Cells / (Border or
Background). Note that borders and gridlines aren't the same thing.
Borders are a property of each cell, displaying/hiding gridlines is a
worksheet property which AFAICT affects only cell borders which haven't
been changed from their default.

How can I get grid lines back?

Change whatever border / background effects you don't like.

You may want to check for each worksheet what the gridline status is:
switch to target worksheet, click on Format, click on Sheet. Gnumeric
displays a tick next to "Hide Gridlines" if they are hidden using this
method. Repeated clicking on Hide Gridlines cycles the state through
(on, off).

Format, Sheet, Hide Gridlines is not checked so it's not that.
I tried toggling Hide Gridlines and it just toggled all the gridlines,
but the ones blanked out did not come back.

I suspect Format, Cells, Border but I don't how to modify the lines.  I
tried selecting a section of the file with no gridlines and then
selected a line thickness from the palette but no gridlines appeared.

What to do?

Can you send us a test file (you can remove all data, just keep the
formats)?

Regards,
Jean