Re: Handling of quote characters in ssconvert

No, those options only seems to affect the quotes around whole cell contents, if there is characters inside a cell it doesn't seem to be affected in any way.
ssconvert -O 'quoting-mode=always quote="\""' test.xlsx out.txt
converts
a b'd" \';" d'd
"a" "b'd"" "\';"" "d'd"
I need it to become
!a! "b\'d\"" "\\\';\"" "d\'d"

I hope i posted this in the correct way.

/Björn

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 9:05 PM, Andreas J. Guelzow <aguelzow pyrshep ca> wrote:
On Sun, 2009-11-01 at 20:55 +0100, Björn Nilsson wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to use ssconvert to convert different types of spreadsheets to
> csv files for import into a sql database. The problem I have is that
> when there is fields with a single or double quotes in they turn up
> unescaped. Also "\" would be an issue. I have started looking for a
> tool to pre-process the csv files but it would be very nice if
> ssconvert had an option for doing this in one step. Would it be
> possible to tell ssconvert which characters to escape?

I didn't try it but shouldn't you be able to set up quoting using the
options for the configurable text exporter?

>From the ssconvert manual page:
OPTIONS FOR THE CONFIGURABLE TEXT (*.txt) EXPORTER
      quote  The  character  or  string  used for quoting fields. Defaults to
             "\"" (quotation mark / double quote).

      quoting-mode
             When does data need to be quoted?  "never", "auto" (puts  quotes
             where needed), or "always". Defaults to "never".

      quoting-on-whitespace
             Controls  whether initial or terminal whitespace forces quoting.
             Defaults to TRUE.

Andreas

--
Andreas J. Guelzow <aguelzow pyrshep ca>