Re: gnumeric-list Digest, Vol 59, Issue 21

On Thu, 2009-03-26 at 08:55 -0600, Jim Martin wrote:
Hello again Mario and other Gnumeric Gurus:

The spreadsheet and the tutorial that go with it are now published
online at www.sportsci.org. The direct link the article is
http://sportsci.org/2009/sjejcm.htm  Once you go the article, you will
see a link to the spreadsheet.  If any of you have time and interest,
I would really appreciate it if you would have a look at the
spreadsheet and try to use solver to derive the Fourier Coefficients
in Gnumeric. The coefficients are determined by minimizing the sum of
squared error term (cell E2) by changing the coefficients (cells in
column G highlighted in yellow). OpenOffice Calc will do it but it
takes minutes to converge to a solution whereas Excel converges in
seconds. If any of you can get Gnumeric to do this (and show me how) I
will be happy to send an addendum to the journal describing how to do
the same thing with Gnumeric. Could be a way to recruit a new group of
Gnumeric users.

According to the Gnumeric solver dialog, the solver uses a simplex
algorithm to optimize the function. I really don't think that is the
right tool for your kind of problem.

Which kind of algorithm is used by OpenOffice Calc and/or Excel?

(I doubt that there is a general solver that will "converge in seconds"
for an arbitrary problem.)

Andreas
--
Andreas J. Guelzow, PhD, FTICA
Coordinator, Mathematical & Computing Sciences