Preserving Leading Zeros in Gnumeric?

Folks,

I have an application where I would like to preserve the leading zeros for
numbers.  I'm using Gnumeric version 1.8.4 on Gentoo.

In google-ing through the mail list I see some discussion from 2000, but
nothing since.  Is there a way I can preseve the zeros?  It would extra great
if there is a way to preserve them when saving to a XLS file.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Regards,

Mark Gannon

--
You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you
really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I have

        ----Eleanor Roosevelt