Re: Sharing Gnumeric files on a network

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 00:42, Allin Cottrell <cottrell wfu edu> wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jul 2009, Felipe Castro wrote:

> Hi, I'm using version 1.9.10 (on win). I intend to use it on a
> network, where more than one person could access same files at the
> same time. How to avoid editing the same file in parallel?

Surely that's up to the OS, not gnumeric.

No, it's surely not. It's most certainly a task which the
app should do. OS can't help here.

Example: You have the file on a Dropbox (
shared directory. Now you want to edit it on system A (a Linux box). A
little later, while system A still has the file open, user from system B (using
Windows) wants to open the file.

The OS can't do anything about it. The app should take of that (the way
VIM does it - it's simply superb! It tells the user which system has a file
open and if it's the same system, tells the user if the process is still
running. That's a FTW!).

[[ ]]
[ Mehr => ]
[ Chat => Jabber: alexws77 jabber80 com | Google Talk: a skwar gmail com ]
[ Mehr => AIM: alexws77 ]
[ $[ $RANDOM % 6 ] = 0 ] && rm -rf / || echo 'CLICK!'