Plugins with --enable-static and --disable-shared

Is there a way to compile gnumeric after configuring it with
--enable-static --disable-shared and still make the plugins work?

/home/lorotta/gnumeric/gnumeric-1.8.3Build/installdir//lib/gnumeric/1.8.3/plugins/fn-random/:
cannot read file data: Is a directory

I get this error when using =random() in a cell. I know the fn-random
is a directory, but so what? Since i used disable shared there is a
fn-random.a library inside the directory (instead of a .so).

Any ideas about how to solve it?