File causes lockup

Some teaching assistants sent me a file related to assignment marks that has a sheet per student (about 60 sheets), each with graphics. This will not load in Gnumeric 1.8.2 that comes with Ubuntu Hardy. There is lots of disk activity for over 5 mins, and no keyboard or mouse control of machine. Even Ctrl-Alt-Bsp and Ctrl-Alt-Del gave no response. I eventually had to hit the power. Confirmed with 2 tries. OO and kspread seem OK, as does Excel 2007 in WinXP.

Are there known issues with 1.8.2 file open? Because of marks, I cannot post the file. However, I am likely meeting Jody for some other work in a few weeks if this turns out to be a genuine issue.

JN