RE: MS Excel XML File Format

-----Original Message-----
From: gnumeric-list-bounces gnome org
[mailto:gnumeric-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of Andreas
J. Guelzow
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 13:34
To: gnumeric-list gnome org
Subject: Re: MS Excel XML File Format

On Tue, 2007-19-06 at 12:25 -0500, Browder, Tom wrote:
And I also notice that a valid Excel xml file (according to MS Excel)

I assume you mean a file that MS Excel opens. (This is
different from a valid MS Excel xml File.)

OK, you're correct, but Excel opens the xml file Ok--I haven't tried
xmllint on it (good idea).

So if A1:B2 are merged and B2:C3 are merged how is that
supposed to be understood? THe screen real estate
corresponding to B2 can only belong to one of those two merged
cell regions.

Hm, at first thought I would report the problem (maybe in a log file)
and ignore one or both of the overlapping merge areas (I know it may not
be that easy).  But I believe some attempt should be made to continue
(perhaps also suggest the user use xmllint on the file).

-Tom