Re: Gnumeric Features

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 08:43:07 +1000
Peter Wills <pjpw bigpond net au> wrote:

I just wanted to comment on what I think is a terrific spreadsheet
which in many ways is better than Excel however it lacks the
following features which I use regularly in my spreadsheets as a
Business Consultant & Adviser.

No Spelling function

No support for Conditional Formatting.  I have read that it is in the
code but does not have GUI support.

No Pivot Tables.  This is one of the most advanced and practical
features of Excel that I use on a regular basis in the analysis of
data.  You don't have to be "power user" to benefit from this
feature.  Once you use it you wonder you got along without it.

If Gnumeric had these features it would be serious opposition for
Excel however, at the moment, the only free spreadsheet in that
category is Open Office.  The problem with Open Office is its bloat
and higher level hardware requirements.  Until Sun can produce a fast
lean alternative then Excel will continue to be the only real
alternative for advanced users of spreadsheets....until Gnumeric can
introduce the above features and keep it lean and fast as it is now.

Regards

PETER J WILLS
Business Consultant & Adviser
ABN 53 964 553 113