Gnumeric Features

I just wanted to comment on what I think is a terrific spreadsheet which in many ways is better than Excel however it lacks the following features which I use regularly in my spreadsheets as a Business Consultant & Adviser.

No Spelling function

No support for Conditional Formatting. I have read that it is in the code but does not have GUI support.

No Pivot Tables. This is one of the most advanced and practical features of Excel that I use on a regular basis in the analysis of data. You don't have to be "power user" to benefit from this feature. Once you use it you wonder you got along without it.

If Gnumeric had these features it would be serious opposition for Excel however, at the moment, the only free spreadsheet in that category is Open Office. The problem with Open Office is its bloat and higher level hardware requirements. Until Sun can produce a fast lean alternative then Excel will continue to be the only real alternative for advanced users of spreadsheets....until Gnumeric can introduce the above features and keep it lean and fast as it is now.

Regards

PETER J WILLS
Business Consultant & Adviser
ABN 53 964 553 113