Re: text mode columns strip leading "+"?

Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:
On Tue, 2006-19-09 at 15:52 +0200, Thomas Mellman wrote:

Morten Welinder wrote:

If you are using the text importer, be sure to set the format to "Text" for
any columns you do not want to be interpreted as numbers, dates, etc.

Yes, unfortunately, it was.  In fact, in the "validation" tab of the
"format cells" dialog, the criteria "Any Value (no interpretation)" was set.

Now, Jean Bréfort pointed out that if you put an apostrophe as the first
character of the cell, it forces the cell to be interpreted as text.
And in fact, that worked.  However, it must be a simple bug that the
validation criteria is not honored.

Validation only described which values are valid to be entered, not how
they are understood. Perhaps the descriptor "no interpretation" is
misleading. Clearly you are allowed to enter any number or text you
desire. A string of the form "+2345678" is just understood as a positive
number and when it is shown the leading + sign is suppressed.

Okay, I think I understand.  Thus, it's not a   simple   bug.     :)

Andreas