Re: sorting "bug"

Morten Welinder wrote:
1) formulas with references INSIDE the sort area should not be sorted.
Indeed, one could say that sort should pre-check this and red-flag it.
As far as I know (I'd be delighted if there is a way to do this), no
spreadsheet does this yet.

A little more detailed:

1a. Expressions that reference only cells within a given row are just fine.
     [Quite possibly beyond the set of columns being sorted.]

If we have a relative reference to the same row, but outside of the
range being sorted, sorting might damage it. Only absolute references
will work.

Relative references are safe ONLY within the sorting range and within
the same row.
We really should read understand such operations as column operations
instead of cell operations.

1b. Absolute references outside the area being sorted are fine too.
1c. Anything else is suspect.

Morten