Re: Building gnumeric and dependencies in a separate location.

Hello,

This is indeed an issue. Fortunately there are several solutions. I
think chroot is overkill for your needs since your situation is common.
The developers often have several versions of gnumeric built and
installed in different locations.

GNOME has several build scripts available, notably jhbuild and garnome,
which can be installed in their own directory tree (away from everything
else). I don't remember the details but the explanation is in the README
files or probably on the net.

The GNUMERIC build system can handle this using the command-line
argument --prefix=... to the autogen/configure scripts. For years I have
built and installed gnumeric and whatever dependencies were required
in /soft/CVS/TEST/ without having any impact on my system. Once built,
to run that gnumeric I then had to adjust both the PATH and the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH environmental variables to first look in that directory
and then in the standard locations. This strategy is:
 1) build with --prefix=/the/alternate/path/
 2) run with a script or command line to expand the PATH and LD_...
Note that if you have to build dependencies, then these environmental
variables will have to be set during the build of any dependent library.

Alternatively, GNOME has several build scripts available, notably
jhbuild and garnome, which can be installed in their own directory tree
(away from everything else). I don't remember the details but the
explanation is in the README files or probably on the net. These will
often require building from very far down in the stack (below gtk) which
may or may not be what you want. However, you can build these and not
affect your running system.

Hopefully that will help you on your way.
--adrian