Re[4]: non linear regressions and histograms.

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, Morten Welinder apparently wrote:
The problem with picking a random open (or closed,
reallyl) software product for numerical work and using it
is that you need to figure out if it is any good.

I was not suggesting a random choice.  Just that a choice be
made that provides a good range of functionality along with
ease of use.  Taking advantage of Gnumeric's existing work
on Python scripting made numpy look pretty interesting.

A quick look at numpy suggests that the numerical quality is questionable.
Take for example
static double atanh(double x)
{
      return 0.5*log((1.0+x)/(1.0-x));
}
This clearly has 100% loss of precision for small x.
(Luckily this function is only used if libc fails to
supply atanh.)

This is a classic "naive" implementation, which
unfortunately can be found in open and commercial software.
If your claim is true, it could affect Windows users.
But where are you finding this: are you sure the current
numpy supplies atanh separately from an available math
library (possibly not necessarily libc)?  I see the
following::

    Python 2.4.1 (#65, Mar 30 2005, 09:13:57) [MSC v.1310 32
    bit (Intel)] on win32
    >>> from numpy import *
    >>> help(atanh)
    Traceback (most recent call last):