Re: non linear regressions and histograms.

Hi,

I have made some work on non linear regression curves in graphs, and
especially in histograms. As a sample, I implemented a gaussian fit. The
patch is available, for interested people, at:
http://jean.brefort.free.fr/histograms-regs.patch (~30kB).

There are probably other distributions that it might be interesting to
implement in the same way (any suggestion?).

I do not know if R2 can be evaluated for such a regression, and even
what it would mean, so it is not enabled in that case.
I also fixed go_non_linear_regression to make it work. BTW, should we
keep the same code in gnumeric (current situation) or should gnumeric
use the functions in go-regression.c?

Waiting for your comments and suggestions.

Hi Jean,
        This is great! Physicists often need to fit complex functions to
data.

However these are often so complex that they really need to be compiled
against a library. I was wondering if it were possible to write a really
well documented plugin that uses "C-minuit"
http://c-minuit.sourceforge.net/
so that sophisticated users could code their own fitting routine.

Just a crazy idea.

Cheers

Martin

Cheers,