Re: How to build native Win32 Gnumeric ?

Hi,

I hope this reply won't be too late. (I didn't subcribed to this list)

Ryan Pavlik wrote:
delfagolil-1 yahoo fr wrote:

Dear all,
I'd like to compile Gnumeric and build the Win32 application. I've tried to do this with Cygwin, but I'm not really sure it is the good way to obtain the native Win32 Gnumeric. Could you confirm using Cygwin is the best way to build Win32 Gnumeric ?
If no, which kind of environment is needed to do so ?
Thanks in advance Best Regards

*
*

I tried to build it myself some months ago using MSYS and didn't get terribly far. I know that the person who builds the releases uses Cygwin somehow, but I don't know much more than that.

I changed to use mingw on debian after the first release of Gnumeric/Win32 IIRC. Cygwin is just too slow for me for this purpose. In terms of ease of setting up the compiling environment, from the easiest to the most difficult:

1. Cygwin/MSYS
2. MinGW on Debian
3. MSVC

In terms of the time required to build you just have to reverse the list. MSVC is the fastest, MinGW on Debian is a little bit slower and Cygwin/MSYSis at least 10-30 times slower than MSVC. Note that I am not comparing the speeds of gcc and MSVC, I mean the duration of the -build process-.

To get Gnumeric/Win32 compiled, perhaps the first step is to get libgsf/Win32 compiled.

Cheers,
Ivan.