Two problems: documention leads to blocked site (Red Hat) - that's odd and how can I count a column of text entries?

I am using Gnumeric version 1.5.90 where I could not seem to see any
built in function that will just count the entries.  Reading the
documentation was of not much help, since I was not authorized to visit
the site containing the more detailed information.

I would like to write my own function, that would begin by checking to
see if the entry was text or if blank - those functions exist but only
put out a boolean result whereas I would prefer a 1 and  0, respectively.

If a condition is supported, e.g. if istext(column_id) then 1 else 0 and
feed this into the count() would count the number of entries I have in a
column.  This appears simple to me, is it supported?  If so how to I
open a facility with Gnumeric to write my custom function or is
something similar already available via the menu options.

TIA, Txt.