Re: PI()

On Tue, 2005-01-02 at 21:03 -0500, Morten Welinder wrote:
On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 15:57:55 -0700, Andreas J. Guelzow
<aguelzow taliesin ca> wrote:
In view of CEILING(-2.5) == -3 and FLOOR(-2.5) == -2

CEIL is the sane version of CEILING.
INT is the sane version of FLOOR.

The mistake here is to try to make sense of this.  If the rounding function
group in Excel had been designed with just one iota of sense we would
not have this mess.  As it is, we have.  The best we can do is to offer
our sincere apologies in the help text (after we reorganize all the help
texts).

Unfortunately as a gnumeric user I open the function browser and see
`ceiling'. Yes I should read the description (and then stay far away
from that function) but typically we don't it is a familiar standard
name so one assumes that it behaves reasonably.

Seriously, I am wondering whether those XL rounding functions that don't
behave sensibly could be packaged into their own little plugin, so that
one could decide not to load them. In that case one wouldn't see them
and keep looking to find INT and CEIL.

Andreas

--
Andreas J. Guelzow