Re: Libgsf 1.10 !!!!!!!

Generally, you don't need to uninstall old versions of your libraries when you install new ones. Suppose you have a library called libblah.so, version 1. You install it, and the following files appear in /usr/lib- /usr/lib/libblah.so.1, and a symbolic link- /usr/lib/libblah.so. When you compile new programs they all link throught the symbolic link, but _are actually linked specifically on /usr/lib/libblah.so.1_. You can see this by running ldd on anything on /usr/bin.

Now you install libblah.so version 2. /usr/lib/libblah.so.2 appears, and the link /usr/lib/libblah.so is moved to /usr/lib/libblah.so.2. All the programs you compiled before still reference /usr/lib/libblah.so.1 (version 1), but any new programs compiled will use version 2.

(caution- I know 0% about synaptic, apt, or Debian)

So, in summary, even though you've installed the new libgsf, all your programs still relied on the old version. synaptic knew this, and deleted them all when you asked it to remove the library. You should have just left both installed, which probably would not have had any ill effects.

I can't offer much specific advice, but 1) I reckon your computer will reboot, just without gnome 2) to rescue, try and reinstall all of the gnome pacakges using however-you-installed-them-in-the-first-place.

Hope this explains (if not actually helps),

David

Trouilliez Vincent wrote:
Oh my God, OH MY GOOOOD !!!!!!!!!!!!

Version 1.4.0 required libgsf 1.10, but I had 1.9 on my system. I downloaded 1.10 from Gnumeric download page, installed it fine. Then I proceeded to removed the old 1.9 version and, can't believe it, my package manager (synaptic) removed half of my system !! it removbed Nautilus, many gnome bits, even Gimp, and hundreds of other packages !! What's te hell is going on ?!! :-OOOO Now I don't want to reboot my system, it probably wouldn't start again with so many packages removed !! :-O

How am I supposed to upgrade libgsf if removing the old version removes my entire desktop environement !!!!! :-O :o(((((((((((((((

HELP !!!

Vince, about to cry !!!