Re: Building a new application based on gnumeric

Well, perhaps I should explain myself better.

The purpose of the applications is to build a set of forms composed of user input entries and calculated outputs. The volume of data managed is relatively high and its definition can suffer changes periodically. So, a solution could be an application that builds these forms using gtk or any other toolkit based on definitions declared in a XML file.

Using gnumeric I can make use of its calc engine and apply it to the output entries, and even its format capabilities for numbers. The tool that interpretes the definition file should bind entries using gnumeric functions. This way I get a flexible and easy tu build app.

Is gnumeric suitable for this purpose ? What headers should I study ? Any recommendation to begin hacking gnumeric ?

Thanks in advance

Jody Goldberg <jody gnome org> wrote:
On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 12:34:24PM +0200, Victor Morilla wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wan't to build a free application to solve financial
> problems and I would find very interesting to make use
> of the calc engine of gnumeric.
>
> My ideal API would let me build new cell objetcs (not
> gui objects) to store values or functions, modify
> them, read it's value and associate callbacks to be
> invoked when a change in a cell happens.
>
> Is it possible ? Is gnumeric's GUI isolated from it's
> engine calc ? Is there any documentation related ?

The ui and core are as distinct as we can make them but we have not
had alot of testing to validate that. It is possible to run without
an X display (eg our ssconvert application).

As to the rest of your proposed design ... I'm not clear why you
would want a new Cell object. The existing versions should be
sufficient for what you've described.

Correo Yahoo!: 6MB, más protección contra el spam ¡gratis!