importing CSV files

I had the idea to use Gnumeric simply to edit some CSV files, but I ran
into a problem:  I have *text* entries like
        131/272
Entering and exporting such an entry works fine so long as I tell
Gnumeric what's coming:
        '131/272
But, of course the apostrophe is not recorded in the csv file and when I
value. (1/2 in this example!).

Anyone have a work-around?

I'm working with version 1.2.11 and can't seem to search the list
archives today so sorry if this is a dupe.

Mark Copper