Re: Excel ate my DNA!

Morten Welinder schrieb:

I am quite appalled at seeing the biometrics people so forcefully blame
Excel for what I see as a self-inflicted gunshot wound in the foot.

In my world such thoughts in terms of blaming have minimal space.

I like facts and decisions.

Fact is, that somebody (the biometrics) reported a problem.
Reproducable? Yes, go on analyzing.
Bug or feature?
Hmm ... are there written requirements? Written functional documentation?
Assumption: It is not against the documentation.
It is a feature.
Hmm ... why does the user report a problem?
Did the requirement engineers forget to define usability requirements?
Is the documentation badly structured or confusing?
Is the above feature too less self explaining?
Is the feature too far away from common sense?
If nothing is wrong, close the bug.

Analyzing and answering the questions without emotion will at least result in the best solution. Putting much energy into defending a current wrong solution results only in delay and waste of time.

PS: I wonder a little bit, that _you_ defend Excel.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer