Re: xmgrace

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Martin Sevior wrote:

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Allin Cottrell wrote:

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Alan G Isaac wrote:

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004, Andrzej Grzegorcyzk apparently wrote:
Is it not better just to make simple plugin to
gnumeric which can send data xmgrace  and the rest of problem live for
xmgrace team.

I am another user sympathetic to this argument, although I
would prefer to see gnuplot used.  (A number of applications
already use gnuplot this way successfully, because it is
built to facilitate this.  One example: the gretl
econometric package, which includes gnuplot.)

I'll put in my twopence-worth on this.  I'm a gnumeric fan, but I have
to agree with Andrzej's point that gnumeric's graphing capacities are
quite primitive.  And the response, that if we just wait a little
these capacities will be terrific, without any need for third-party
plugins, has worn thin over the several years I've heard it made.

However, I tend to agree with Alan, that if the gnumeric developers
were to consider linking to a third-party graphing engine they'd be
better off considering gnuplot.  This is on the grounds that (a)
gnuplot is "standard equipment" on most GNU/Linux platforms, where
gnumeric is most likely to be found, while (b) xmgrace depends (as I
understand) on the Motif libraries, which are antiquated and not
standard equipment on GNU/Linux.

Despite it's name, gnuplot is not GPL licsensed. It cannot be directly
linked to gnumeric.

True, but I was using the term "link" in a broad sense, meaning "associate" rather than link as in GNU ld. I'm pretty sure there are no licensing issues involved if GNU program X says at run-time: "If program Y is available on this system, let's use it to do such-and-such", regardless of the license of program Y.

Allin Cottrell