Re: Print dialogue

Hi Frank,

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 11:11, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:
On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 17:50, frank brierley wrote:
Andreas,

The main application I'm printing from is gnumeric so maybe waiting for
the current development version (the one you've recently modified) to
reach a production release will solve some of these problems.

Is it gnumeric or gnome-print responsible for displaying the printers
from the lpd spooler?

This is 100% gnome-print's responsibility. I'll have a look how this
could be reasonably added. The -l issue should be esily fixable. You may
want to file some requests in bugzilla.gnome.org (gnumeric and
gnome-print as products).

Unfortunately gnome-print is already in feature freeze for Gnome 2.6 but
some of these are really bugs!

The development version of gnumeric is the gnome 2.6 version of gnumeric
so it may take at least a few months for it to be released.

I thought about this a bit more and in fact we have a file that can sort
of function as configuration file for you, as a minimum you can insert
the -l you need:

Have a look in
/usr/share/libgnomeprint/2.4.2/models/GNOME-GENERIC-PS.xml
of course the version number in the path may vary.

There you will find a section:
        <Item Id="custom">
          <Name>Custom</Name>
          <Key Id="Module" Value="libgnomeprint-custom.so" />
          <Option Id="Command" Default="lpr" Type="String" />
        </Item>

If you insert -l behind the lpr on the fourth line, then it will
automatically appear in the dailog.

I cannot test it but you may want to try to add a text like
        <Item Id="fac">
          <Name>Fac</Name>
          <Key Id="Module" Value="libgnomeprint-custom.so" />
          <Option Id="Command" Default="lpr -l -Pfac" Type="String" />
        </Item>

immediately following the above custom entry, this will give you another
choice which may (untested!) print using lpr -l -Pfac.

good luck

Andreas
--
Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
Dept. of Mathematical & Computing Sciences