Re: printing woes

Good morning (here) Andreas,

On 23 Jan 2004 06:53:46 -0700

"Andreas J. Guelzow" <aguelzow taliesin ca> wrote:

Hi Chris

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 06:06, Chris Dunn < wrote:

Attached are 2 small sheets which should demonstrate the problem.

The file bill2.gnumeric is the result of opening an OpenOffice .sxc
file in AbiWord. The raw data is there, but a lot of the formatting
is lost, and various cells are relocated from their original
positions. Running a print preview on this (unedited) file shows
truncated text at, for instance cells B1, B5, A12, A14, C31, and
others.

When you said Abiword, I suspect you meant Gnumeric ? It would be nice
to see the openoffice file to understand why the import did not work
properly. It should have.

Brain fade. I'm waiting on a transplant. In the mean time I'm trying to
replace Openoffice with Abiword and Gnumeric. The OO file is attached.

The file bill.gnumeric had the original OpenOffice formatting
reinstated in the new Gnumeric sheet (bill2), and the file was then
saved under the new name. All columns were widened after your advice
yesterday, and this resolved the date printing issue, but does not
seem to have assisted with the text truncation. Although it should
be noted that the text truncated is now in different locations to
that in "bill2". For instance cell B2 is now truncated where it was
not in the previous sheet.

Hmm, I don't see any truncated text in either bill nor bill2 using the
gnumeric development version. I'll be trying 1.2.5 later today. Which
version of Gnumeric and libgnomeprint/libgnomeprintui are you using?

Gnumeric is the stock 1.2.0 included with Slackware 9.1.
Libgnomeprint/libgnomeprintui are also both Slackware 9.1 packages,
versions libgnomeprint-2.3.1-i486-1 and libgnomeprintui-2.3.1-i486-1.

The font was changed from "Sans" in the imported sheet "bill2" to
"Arial" in "bill". I'm not sure how far this is significant.

this shouldn't have anything to do with text truncation but it is
unusual.

This is puzzling.

Andreas
--
Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
Dept. of Mathematical & Computing Sciences

Chris Dunn
Diamond Construction Ltd
PO Box 354, Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
        telephone :     1 (649) 941 4716
        fax :           1 (649) 941 4765
Fri Jan 23 09:12:01 EST 2004