Re: [sc-dev] Proposal of a new format character from engineer's/scientist's prospective

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 11:55:11AM -0500, Kohei Yoshida wrote:
In case I wasn't clear...

On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 11:43, Kohei Yoshida wrote:
[snip]
0.00[si:k-cm,m]

means 0.00[si:{set of modifiers to be used},{unit string}]

That comma (,) and colon (:) separators are of course arbitrary, and can
be changed if they are problematic.

k-cm ? you mean k-c ?

Your goal is to disable the use of modifiers outside that range ?
That doesn't seem like a primary usecase.  It would also allow
things like dm (decimeter) that people probably don't want.

That format wouldn't really work in that it conflicts with the
colors, [color]0.00.  However it does make an interesting
suggestion regarding sets.  How about something like

    [%{si}unitstring]

A couple of fine points here
    1) unitstring would be an arbitrary string.  I don't see adding
       a full on unit implementation or people are going to start
        wanting conversions.

    2) The 'si' identifier would somehow tie back to a set of
       (app or workbook ) name value pairs.  I suppose 'si' is
       cleaner than %% vs %%%, but I worry that format strings are
       displayed in localized format.  We would need to know the
       locale specific name for 'si'.  Making the set of prefixes
       user expandable would limit our ability to handle precision
       intelligently.
            Is that 1.23 cm or 12.3 mm ?

    3) What sort of id would we use for binary powers ?