Re: gnumeric for Windows

One remark:
OpenOffice is a viable option with one
(I think serious) flaw.
OpenOffice does not have sliders
(called scrollbars in MSspeak)
as controllers.
Sliders can be used for parameters in models,
and to do user controlled animation.
I think it is a very important tool
(conceptually, not only conveniencewise)
and the fact that it is missing makes
OpenOffice somewhat less useful for mathematical modeling.
Gnumeric does have sliders, so it would be
really nice to have Gnumeric in Windows.

Joseph Pingenot wrote:

From Alan G Isaac on Sunday, 29 February, 2004:

I teach at an institution where most students use some
flavor of Windows.  In some courses, I would like to teach
my students certain aspects of spreadsheet use.  Although I
make a few exceptions, I am generally unwilling to
incorporate training in proprietary software use into my
courses.  Therefore I have so far left spreadsheet use out
of these courses.

It's *very* refreshing to see that at USA universities.  Yay!!

About three years ago, talk about a gnumeric port to Windows
was reasonably active.  I have not been able to find any
recent evidence of a forthcoming port, hopefully due to not
knowing where to look.  Where do things stand?

IIRC, it's still under very active development; they're working on making
  gnumeric less dependent on some things that Windows users don't want to
  have to worry about.

You may want to look at using OpenOffice in the interim, dual-booting
  with Linux, or using Windows only as necessary, inside of a virtual
  machine (my personal favorite ;)

That said, I don't *think* the wait should be too long; they really
  seemed to be pushing it through, if I recall correctly.

-Joseph

--
Erich Neuwirth, Computer Supported Didactics Working Group
Visit our SunSITE at http://sunsite.univie.ac.at