converting to decimal time

Hi

I am just trying to use gnumeric to calculate the amount of money earned based on the number of hours worked
and can't figure out if it is possible to convert something in 'hour:minute' format to decimal so that I can
multiple it by an hourly rate. I have looked at all the  functions in date&time but none seems to do that
although I may well not be underseperate the hours and minutes into separate columns. Thanks for any help and
sorry if this is a really dumb question, never really gone into much depth in spreadsheets before.

cheers
John Habermann