libasound

I compiled gnumeric-1.1.90 about a week ago with no problems.

Yesterday I tried gnumeric-1.2.0 but after upgrading libbonobo, libbonoboui,
and libgsf-1.8.2 configure worked but compile failed because it couldn't
link with libasound.la (Sorry - the exact error is on another machine.) To
my knowledge I have never used or needed this library.  I gather this may be
used with the ALSA sound system. I am using Slackware current (9.0+) and
Linux kernel 2.4.22.

What should I do here?

Thanks, Dennis