Re: compiling

Thanks for the effort of helping me with all that you have written.  However, I am afraid that much of it is lost on me.  Most other .tar.gz packages install into a pre-arranged place/s which most of the time is compatible for the system - my system.  I do not understand why gnumeric cannot follow the same principal.

As far as politeness goes, I thought that this is a help/discussion forum.  This may be peculiar to me but, I am one of those people who do not require a please and thank you to help someone out.  And I am being honest about this.  I do not consider it to be rude to miss out pleasantries.

david

Adrian Custer wrote:
Hey David,

Installing gnumeric on mandrake is quite simple, although getting your
system in the right state may take a bit of love. I guarantee that it
can be done since I was running all sorts of versions in 9.1 until
recently when 9.2rc* came out. Also, the newer gnumeric is now in cooker
if you can stand the updates.

To get your system in order, you will need to have all of the right
*-devel packages installed. There are a bunch required. Then, if you
want to compile from source you will need:

gnome-common
libgsf
gnumeric

>From there, it should be relatively straight forward, depending on your
knowledge/patience. If you are interested in keeping at it, I'd suggest
the following.
1) decide where you are going to install stuff. I use /soft/CVS/TEST/
which is a totally random location.
2) get and install gnome-common into that location
3) set your $PATH and $LD_LIBRARY_PATH variables. Here's what I
currently use which has extra stuff that's probably not needed anymore:
# These are settings to compile using stuff in the TEST directory.
# This works for Gnome apps.

setenv PATH /soft/CVS/TEST/bin:$PATH
setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /soft/CVS/TEST/lib/

# Gnome specific

setenv GNOME_PATH /soft/CVS/TEST/bin/
setenv PKG_CONFIG_PATH /soft/CVS/TEST/lib/pkgconfig/

4) Install libgsf and then gnumeric.

your ./configure or ./autogen.sh lines should have
--prefix=/my/install/directory

Then, if you are still having trouble and still want to go after it,
give us an email with more info such as specifically where things fail.

One word about your message. I know you are frustrated because I've been
in that same spot before. However, the people who write gnumeric
understand a lot more about computers than either of us and have
everything working almost perfectly. You can assume that if things don't
work it's probably because you don't quite understand enough. So if you
write this list for help, it's in your best interest to be cool and nice
and polite. Something like "Hello everyone, thanks for gnumeric. I'm
really stuck installing gnumeric because of ..... Is there any chance
one of you would be nice enough to help me? Thanks." That kind of
perspective will get you *much* more, and more postitive attention.

Anyhow, good luck,

ciao,
adrian

On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 08:14, david wrote:

I have given in even trying to compile gnumeric for my system - mdk9.1.
I have all that is required, apart from gnumeric recognising that I do
indeed have what is required.

Will this problem be fixed in the future??????????