Re: pasting from other apps

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Jody Goldberg wrote:

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 10:14:15AM -0500, Allin Cottrell wrote:
I'm confused about how to get data from another app into gnumeric via
copy & paste.

E.g. my app (gretl) puts some CSV data onto the clipboard using
GDK_SELECTION_PRIMARY.  The data can then be pasted into various X
apps with middle-mouse.  But when I try Paste in gnumeric (1.1.15)
nothing appears, the relevant clipboard is empty.  So, how should I
copy data in such a way that it will be found by gnumeric?  Thanks for
any help.

GDK_SELECTION_CLIPBOARD is the approved way of doing.

OK, thanks, now I can get data into gnumeric.  Can you tell me if
there's a way simultaneously to put the data into the X selection?
Because now I can't paste into "regular" X apps such as emacs.  I.e.
before I could middle-mouse data into emacs, but now that I'm using
GDK_SELECTION_CLIPBOARD the data don't appear on middle mouse, nor are
they retrieved by emacs's Paste item (not with nedit).

(I realize that perhaps I was "abusing" the X selection, by putting
into it, via a Copy command, material that was not visible on screen,
but it sure was handy.)

Allin Cottrell.