Re: Hi to all two basic questions about limist of gnumeric please

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:09:48PM +0000, Pedro Luis Moran Raschio wrote:
I wonder the two following questions please:
1.- What is the maximun size of a file to use? Is just a number of megas
o a file (eg 60 megas ..) or just the limit of our memory?
The precise answer depends on the file format being used.
Once loaded the only limit is memory size.  During loading/saving
gnumeric's xml format is fairly expensive and uses approximately 4x
as much memory as the actual spreadsheet.  So if you try to save a
100Meg workbook you need 400Meg of memory.  Version 1.0.x has a
loader (xml_sax) that is marked experimental that removes that
overhead, and we're working on an exporter with the same
characteristics in the development version.  The XLS import has
fairly low overhead.  XLS export also uses a fair amount of memory,
not 4x but still quite a bit.  That has already been fixed in the
development series.

2.- What is the maximun number of spreadsheets we can have in a workbook?
Internally and with gnumeric's native format there is no explicit
limit.  I suppose it would be 2^31 on most 32 bit architectures, but
you'd run out of memory long before then.  Exporting to XLS is
limited to 256 sheets due to constraints in the format.

Good Luck
    Jody

PS
    Other limits, such as the size a sheet are easy to change.
    There have been several messages on the mailing list detailing
    the minor changes required.