Re: how best to test gnumeric w/ garnome?

Hello,

You may be a step ahead of the field.

Garnome 0.17.x has worked great with gnumeric. The newest garnome uses
gnome 2.1 libraries which may be a little too new.

learning cvs can be a little tough. There's a page somewhere on
developer.gnome.org or there used to be. Essentially you pick a
directory you want everything to go in and then you will check out the
sources you need. Note for gnumeric this is frequently more than just
gnumeric since you may need newer versions of gnome-print, gal2 or other
libraries.

Here's enough to get you into trouble but should keep that trouble
isolated from the rest of your machine.

********************
Starting simple:

mkdir myhackingdir
mkdir mybuilddir

for me these are /soft/CVS/ and /soft/CVS/TEST/ respectively.

cd myhackingdir
cvs -z3 -d:pserver.... co gnumeric

the pserver stuff is to find the right cvs server, find the page on the
website to understand this.

****************
unecessary aside:

once you have gnumeric checked out, I make a backup right away (because
I tend to make stupid mistakes.

tar cjf gnumeric.cvs.todaysdateandtime.tbz gnumeric

if you ever have to get the whole tree again, it's quicker and less
burdensome on the servers to untar this file, then update instead of
checking the whole tree out again.

************************
Look around:

There are a bunch of readme's and other files worth knowing about. READ
THEM. and then again. :-)

************************
build:

to keep things clean, I build to an isolated directory, for me
/soft/CVS/TEST/

1) ./autogen.sh --prefix=/soft/CVS/TEST/
this sets up the build correctly. This will *often* fail if you don't
have the right libraries. if it requires a new library it will usuallly
tell you. (instructions below)

2) make
3) make install
--> this will dump a bunch of files in the directory you specified as
the prefix.

To use this you need to set two environmental variables:
PATH to mybuilddir/bin/:$PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to mybuilddir/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

you should then be able to run the new gnumeric.

********************
if autogen/configure complain:

you may have to build another library like gnome-print. you have to be
careful to use the right version of these libraries for gnome 2.0

cvs -z3 -d:pserv... -b branchname co library

then you have to build it and install it like above for gnumeric
hopefully again in the isolated directory. Before building gnumeric you
should set the two environmental variables above as well as:

GNOME_PATH to mybuilddir:$GNOME_PATH.

okay,
that's enough for now. Most of this is close to the truth, some is
probably wrong. However, this should get you started learning. You can
get more advice in real time on irc on gimp.net

cheers,
adrian