Re: Defining cell styles using the gnumeric XML markup language

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 05:17:32PM -0500, Andy Griffith wrote:
I'm using the gnumeric XML markup language to define a spreadsheet document
which gets serialized using Apache's Cocoon to create and Excel (XLS)
document.  I would like to apply a style on a cell by cell basis as opposed
to defining an entire StyleRegion for each cell that has a change in
formatting.

<gmr:Cell Col="0" Row="0" Style="0">....</gmr:Cell>

Does the style attribute to the cell tag above do anything?  If so, how is
it used?

To quote the code
        if (ctxt->version < GNUM_XML_V3) {
                /*
                 * This style code is a gross anachronism that slugs performance
                 * in the common case this data won't exist. In the long term all
                 * files will make the 0.41 - 0.42 transition and this can go.
                 * Newer file format includes an index pointer to the Style
                 * Old format includes the Style online
                 */
                if (xml_node_get_int (tree, "Style", &style_idx)) {

The routine that parses it is
    xml_read_cell_styles
And the format appears to be

<CellStyles>