Re: More than 64K Rows (and misc comments)

On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 10:46:04AM -0400, FRANCISCO CUENCA ACUNA wrote:
src/gnumeric.h:#define SHEET_MAX_ROWS (256 * 1024)
src/sheet-style.c:#define TILE_SIZE_ROW 23

That is a good start. You'll also need to tweak 2 other constants.
    src/gnumeric-canvas.h
#define GNUMERIC_CANVAS_FACTOR_Y 4000000

src/item-bar.c:item_bar_calc_size
        /* 5 pixels left and right plus the width of the widest string I can think of */
        ib->cell_width = 5 + 5 +
                style_font_string_width(bold_font, "88888");

Add more digits as necessary.

PS: Why don't you ship Gnumeric with 128K rows by default? This would be a
good selling point against excel. In fact it is the reason why I'm
evaluating currently gnumeric.
At some point we may, as things stand it is useful for compatibility
reasons to be the same as MS Excel.

PS2: FYI, I found that compiling  gnumeric-1.0.9 under RH 8.0 fails. The
reason is that Perl 8.0 has some bugs on their new unicode handling and
therefore one of your scripts fail. Here are the details (I solved it
running your scripts on a RH 7.1 machine)
Ick.  Could you report this to bugzilla.gnome.org in the intl-tools
module ?

PS3: Now I'm going completely off the subject. I use gnumeric with an
x-server that runs under windows (PC-Xware). I found that the "walking
ants selection" disappears as soon as I release the shift key. Note that
I've tested the same on a different x server for windows and it works
fine. Question: Does this feature require some special x-server
capabilities?
Not that I know of.  It is quite generic.  Interesting that you are
trying to run Gnumeric under windows.  Would you be able to help
build a native version based on gtk+ for win32 ?

PS4:I use ctrl-ins to copy and shift-ins to paste, the former works but
the later doesn't
I don't know how either would be working.  We install Ctrl-{cv}
Adding this would be trivial if you wanted to.