More than 64K Rows (and misc comments)

    I read a previous posting (from 04/01/2000) on how to extend the
number of columns but as I supposed the advice is not valid anymore. What
I did was changing this

src/gnumeric.h:#define SHEET_MAX_ROWS (64 * 1024)
src/sheet-style.c:#define TILE_SIZE_ROW 16

to this

src/gnumeric.h:#define SHEET_MAX_ROWS (256 * 1024)
src/sheet-style.c:#define TILE_SIZE_ROW 23

    I was force to change the second line in order to bypass this line
src/sheet-style.c: g_assert (SHEET_MAX_ROWS<=TILE_SIZE_ROW*TILE_SIZE_ROW *
TILE_SIZE_ROW * TILE_SIZE_ROW);
    after doing all this, I'm able to get  256K rows, but the column that
shows the row numbers (let's call it A-1) has some trouble drawing. The
first problem is that number with more than 5 digits are truncated so
135280 becomes 13528 (I have tried several values for TILE_SIZE_ROW and
TILE_SIZE_COL with no luck). The second problem is that if I go to the
bottom of the sheet (ctrl+down) column A-1 does not show any row numbers
at all (it's just painted gray). If I click on a particular row, then the
right number gets drawn, so it seems like a redraw problem only when I
jump.
    Any suggestions on how to fix the first problem? (I guess the second
will require some coding)
    Thanks for your help
           Matias

PS: Why don't you ship Gnumeric with 128K rows by default? This would be a
good selling point against excel. In fact it is the reason why I'm
evaluating currently gnumeric.

PS2: FYI, I found that compiling  gnumeric-1.0.9 under RH 8.0 fails. The
reason is that Perl 8.0 has some bugs on their new unicode handling and
therefore one of your scripts fail. Here are the details (I solved it
running your scripts on a RH 7.1 machine)

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/mcuenca/gnumeric-1.0.92/gnumeric-1.0.9'
./xml-i18n-merge ./po gnumeric.desktop.in gnumeric.desktop -d -p Malformed
UTF-8 character (unexpected non-continuation byte 0xd3, immediately after
start byte 0xf7) in pattern match (m//) at ./xml-i18n-merge line 329,
<PO_FILE> line 19.

PS3: Now I'm going completely off the subject. I use gnumeric with an
x-server that runs under windows (PC-Xware). I found that the "walking
ants selection" disappears as soon as I release the shift key. Note that
I've tested the same on a different x server for windows and it works
fine. Question: Does this feature require some special x-server
capabilities?

PS4:I use ctrl-ins to copy and shift-ins to paste, the former works but
the later doesn't