Re: Curve fitting (was Re: Python Plugins)

On Fri, 2002-05-17 at 10:39, Jody Goldberg wrote:
On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 11:16:11AM -0400, Daniel Carrera wrote:

About the GPL:
The algorithms I need are well-known.  Much of the code I need is already
in the public domain  (_Numerical_Recipes_).  Is there any problem using
public-domain code in GPL code?
This is trickier.  I don't know what the licensing for code from
numeric recipes is.  We'd better have a look before commiting any of
it.

The code in Numerical Recipes is *not* freely redistributable.  Of
course, you are free to independently re-implement any of the algorithms
described in NR --- but you can't just copy (or look at!) their code.

I don't have my copy of NR handy, but IIRC they describe the license on
their code quite clearly, probably in the introduction or somewhere very
early in the book.

-JT