WK1 error: =A3+B2 becomes A3+B8194

I converted a WK4 with (3) sheets to a WK1 sheet, (123-R5,
win3.1/95 under OS/2).  The WK1 loads into GNUMERIC, attempts to load XLS
conversions by 123 or excel failed.

HOWEVER: many cells had errors in pointing to other cells in
horizontal, always adding "8192".  Some bit must be on or turned on
in the conversion.  the WK1 file is accepted by 123-R5 and old excel
programs without any errors, but GNUMERIC fails with the "+8192".

ALSO: many cells would not show themselves unless I first
clicked-mouse on them and pressed enter as well.
GNUMERIC does not like " " or "" fields in calculations, if this is
it I can live with it.

WISH: I never use print, always create txt file, a direct create
ascii should be simple to incorporate rather than using the two
stage approach in the doc.  I prefer to simply print this file
when and if I need it, meanwhile the txt file is insurance against
all these file formats which speedily become extinct.

WISH: GNUMERIC and KNUMERIC (if it exists) should have compatible
formats, agreeing up front.

WISH: KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid; I don't need lots of all those
extras like charts.

-- George Hein, retired programmer, White Plains, NY