configure can't find libglade

I would like to work on gnumeric sources, but I've been unable to set
up the build environment.  When I configure with
  ./configure --without-gb --without-guile --without-evolution
then configure fails like this:

checking for oaf-config... /usr/bin/oaf-config
checking for OAF - version >= 0.6.2... yes
checking for GnomePrint libraries >= 0.29                               ... <yes > found gnome-print-0.34
checking for Glade libraries >= 0.16                                    ... <FAIL> not found
configure: error: You need at least libglade 0.16 for this version of Gnumeric

Actually I do have libglade installed:

vanzandt:/home/local/src/gnumeric/gnumeric-1.0.1 $ dpkg -l libglade\*
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad
||/ Name           Version      Description
+++-==============-============-============================================
un  libglade-dev   <none>       (no description available)
un  libglade-gnome <none>       (no description available)
ii  libglade-gnome 0.17-2       Library to load .glade files at runtime (Gno
pn  libglade-gnome <none>       (no description available)
ii  libglade0      0.17-2       Library to load .glade files at runtime.
ii  libglade0-dev  0.17-2       Development files for libglade.
un  libgladexml-pe <none>       (no description available)

Running configure's check from the command line doesn't confirm this,
though:

vanzandt:/home/local/src/gnumeric/gnumeric-1.0.1 $ gnome-config --modversion libglade
Unknown library `libglade'
gnome-libs-1.4.1.2

Judging from the gnome-config man page, I guess libglade should come
with a gnome-config module.  Is this a bug in the Debian libglade0
or libglade0-dev package?  Or am I missing something?

             - Jim Van Zandt