How to enter formula???

I know this should be a really old topic. But somehow I just can't get it to work. The manual has a example section for this, but the example isn't really clear and concrete. Google doesn't produce any meaningful help either. I'd like to see someone can explain a simple task like this:

  A B C D
1  2 3 4
2  4 5 6

I'd like to write a formula to calculate the sum of both row 1 and 2 and put the result in the D column.

Right now, all I can do is do it row by row with "=sum(A1:C1)" then "=sum(A2:C2)"
Can we do this as easy as in excel?

Thanks.