Re: Feasibility of system() plugin?

On Sun, 2002-02-24 at 12:09:14, Jody Goldberg wrote:

EEP NO!
That has several flaws.
1) Security
2) Security
3) Security
98) We'd want some parsing info on how to parse the results.
99) The interface would need some work to define refresh handling
(polling interval vs monitoring a file for a change)

This type of operation is common enough that we will add the notion
of an external data source to gnumeric.  However, I have not given it
much consideration yet.

Some time ago I tried to implement plugin loader for plugins using XML-RPC
protocol. You couldn't create very complex functions using XML-RPC, but for
simple tasks (like retrieving share prices) it would work very well.
This way you could also do calculations on remote machine.

Zbigniew