Re: auto-save questions.

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 03:57:49PM -0500, C. Scott Ananian wrote:

Thoughts about this for gnumeric?  Should we ignore this situation?
Should we attempt to determine if there's already a running instance of
gnumeric (and what if the running instance is on another X display?)
(and is there a good way to do this in GNOME?)

I'd vote for ignoring it.  The vim implementation offers some
information about the session that started the edit being journaled.
That should be enough.  Any more than that and we start passing the
point where things are portable.

I've looked at adding journalling and it appears to fit nicely with
the command framework.  Adding some journal in/out routines to the
derived commands should be sufficient.  Putting the serialized info
into some form of XML is nice, but we'd never be able to generate a
valid document on failure.  DV mentioned some BalancedChunk parsers
that we could use to read things in record by record, but I have not
tried them yet.