Re: gnumeric as a file translation server

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 22:09:34 -0500, James R. Van Zandt wrote:
I monitor a mailing list supporting blind users of Linux.  This user
needs to read and write Excel files.  How hard would it be to set up a
command line interface to gnumeric (or its libraries) to translate
files from Excel to CVS and back?

Gnumeric currently isn't the right tool for that job (but see
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnumeric-list/2002-February/msg00000.html).

In the short run, you're probably better of using catdoc's "xls2csv" and a
small perl script using the Spreadsheet::WriteExcel module to do csv -> xls.

HTH,
Ray
--
Pinky, Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?
I think so, Brain, but "Snowball for Windows"?