Re: Problems importing Applix sheet

On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 01:12:12PM -0500, Greg Ward wrote:
without problems.  ;-(  Happily, Jody has always responded to my bug
reports, but I can't remember which ones have been fixed in 1.0 and
which are in 1.1.
1.1 is significantly more relaxed about the ordering of flags, but
the content parser has not changed enourmously.

(I'm using 1.0.11 from Debian 'unstable' -- I don't have enough space on
my root partition for a full Gnome build system, so I can't play with
Gnumeric 1.1.x; ironically, if I could get rid of Applix, this problem
would go away.  Chicken, meet egg; egg, chicken.)
As Ray points out you could probably use the experimental packages
of 1.1.x which don't take too much space.

reason, Applixware puts ^H (ASCII 8) characters in its CSV output, and
Gnumeric barfs on this.  The exact error message is:
What are they smoking ?  Can you just do a search and replace on the
text file and remove the bogus extra characters ?

Gnumeric 1.0.x is pretty anal about encoding, we don't consider that
a feature, there is no way to get around it for now.  The goal in
1.2 is to enable alot more user control of the locale and encoding,
however, that code is not in cvs yet.