Re: Copy

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 11:33:21PM +0100, Nick Lamb wrote:
Is it? Did you fix the bug?

Gnumeric is the last major application(*) that I'm aware of which doesn't
have working ICCCM clipboard support. Users won't realise that, from
their perspective it looks as though the Cut, Copy and Paste options
in Gnumeric 1.0.x are broken in a mysterious and hard to explain way.

Eventually they'll give up, and go back to Excel on Windows, or they
will put up with the primitive XLS support in KSpread 1.2, which is
a KDE3 application and will therefore presumably have a working
clipboard.

Don't get your knickers in a knot.  Gnumeric 1.0 behaves quite
sensibly to those of us using xterm.  Is it ICCCM compliant ? no.
Nor will 1.0.x ever be so.  I take the 'stable' part of the release
title rather seriously.  Given the limited number of interchange
formats in 1.0 (csv and gnumeric xml) it does not seem like a huge
loss.  It is more important that Gnumeric can copy/paste between
versions.

For 1.1 of course we've addressed the problem, and now support
CLIPBOARD as the main target, with a fall back to PRIMARY in case
1.0.x is still around.

In the interim people will evaluate their needs and select their
software accordingly.  If ICCCM clipboard complance is more
important to someone than the plethora of features in Gnumeric then
they are better off with something else.  My gut feeling is that
that's a fairly small population.