Re: Big, fat statically-linked gnumeric executable

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 02:00:32PM +1000, Simon Taylor wrote:
What I'm trying to do however, is to set up a web page where people who are
not developers can simply download and evaluate the latest gnumeric
executable.

A single hyperlink that lets such a user download the latest stable version of
the program and then *run* it,  is what I want to provide, (or have someone
else provide).

This is certainly a noble goal.  You should be able to achive this
by building with
    --disable-shared
in all the library packages you can from the base up.   Then
building gnumeric normally.  You can not use --disable-shared with
gnumeric if you want the plugins to work.

As for the use of plugins, I think this might be a fair trade off. If a new
user likes the spreadsheet enough, this'll give them the motivation they need
to build it from rpms, or perhaps to install Ximian Evolution.
Without the plugins things like excel read/write will not work which
would probably decrease the utility of gnumeric markedly.  You can
hard code a plugin (see src/xml-io.c) but it is not something I want
to do in the core.